Dr. Tammy Grissom, Executive Director of the Tennessee School Boards Association (TSBA), was present at the meeting and presented a report on the status of the search for the new Superintendent of Kingsport City Schools.
- The Board had previously contracted with TSBA to facilitate the search, including the application process and bringing recommended candidates to the Board for interviews.
- The deadline to apply for the position was February 3, 2023. A total of six candidates applied for the position, three of which met the minimum qualifications.
- After reviewing candidates and the criteria set forth by the Board, the TSBA recommended only one candidate for Board interviews: Dr. Chris Hampton.
- The Board voted 5-0 to accept the recommendation from TSBA.
After accepting the recommendation of TSBA, a motion was made to forego the interview process and enter into contract negotiations with Dr. Hampton for the position of permanent superintendent.
- Kingsport City Attorney Bart Rowlett was present to provide guidance to the Board regarding the motion.
- The Board voted 5-0 to accept the motion to enter into contract negotiations naming naming Dr. Hampton the permanent superintendent.
- The Board then voted 5-0 to authorize Board President Melissa Woods to lead the contract development and negotiation process.